Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Untitled

Today I had one of the most profoundly disturbing experiences of my life.

I was heading down to my internship site after doing Music Therapy observations at the Kansas State School for the Blind, when I received a phone call. It was a young woman explaining that her father lived at the apartment building that I manage and she hadn't been able to reach him for a few days and could she get a key to get into this apartment? I told her that, legally, that wasn't something I could likely do, but I would be more than happy to check on her behalf and then give her a call.  She said she hadn't heard from him in a few weeks and that her uncle had gone to her father's shoeshine store and it turns out he hadn't showed up at work in about two weeks either.

So I stop in at the building on my way.  I knock loudly on the door, and then I knock on the neighbor's door to ask if they've seen this man lately.   They said they hadn't.  So I reluctantly unlock his door and push it open a crack, announcing who I am and that I'm just checking in.  A baseball bat that was propped against the back door falls to the ground.  I don't hear anything, so I open the door a little more and notice a sour smell.  I walk into the apartment inch by inch. The smell is worse. I'm in the kitchen and the bedroom is ahead and to the left.  I see a hand. I think "Oh no."  I say the man's name.  And then I see the rest of him. Lying on the floor next to his bed. Wearing boxers. Puffy. I stare in shock. And then I run out, downstairs, outside.

I call my boss in California. I'm in tears. I tell her a tenant has died and I've found him. I explain it to her.  She says I need to call the daughter. I really don't want to.  So she does. I wait and my boss tells me the daughter is on her way.  I'm so uncomfortable.  There's a dead man upstairs.  A man I knew. 

The daughter arrives and she's inconsolable.  She almost collapses on the sidewalk. I tell her she doesn't have to go upstairs. But she wants to.  Outside the back door, I once again tell her she doesn't have to do this; but she's insistent.  She goes in with her brother and they both break down. It's one of the most terrible moments of my life, witnessing a family seeing their dead father. The daughter is a mess.  I would be, too, of course.  She keeps saying she doesn't know what to do.

They call the police, who arrive along with the fire department and EMTs.  The family and I answer some questions.  The daughter is distraught. It's at once uncomfortable, distressing, and humbling. The professionals are very kind, but a little formal.  I can't imagine doing this on a daily basis like they do.

Detectives arrive and they ask a few more questions.  The family has the keys to the apartment and I tell them that they are free to come and collect his belongings when they are ready to do so and offer myself at their service if there is anything I can do.

I feel nauseous.  I feel ill-at-ease.  I'm just uncomfortable. I keep seeing this man's hand.  His legs. His body.  I never saw his face. The way he was laying, I couldn't see it.  Maybe that's for the best.  He had started decaying.  His toenails looked brittle and white. His body was puffy and swollen.  The smell was unpleasant, although I was surprised it wasn't worse.

The man was black, and every time I saw a black man, I thought of him. Lying there for days, undiscovered.

I can't really describe how I feel right now.  I'm uncomfortable. A little distressed.  Ill-at-ease is the best option. 

I hope I never have to experience this again in my life.

Hold close those who you love.

2 comments:

Myrna said...

Hugs to you, my friend. What a difficult experience.

doyoubelieve.ca said...

Beautifully written