Monday, January 1, 2018

A little 2017 recap

How sad - I didn't write a single blog post in 2017! Not that I even think anyone out in the universe follows or read this thing any way.  Still, blogging has always been cathartic for me so perhaps it's time to get back into it if for no other reason than as a personal outlet.

2017 was a shitty year in many ways for me - personally.  I changed a lot as a person and I'm still struggling to "find" myself again.  Some of my values took major shifts, and the things that I thought mattered to me seemed to perhaps not matter so much anymore.

So to usher in 2018, I'm trying to focus on tuning in to my intuition, to being more flexible and adaptable, to accept change, to make it through transitions with a little more grace, to make better decisions, and to put myself "out there", wherever "there" happens to be!

I've signed up to take a Yoga Teacher Training Certification at Midtown Yoga Kansas City.  Part of the reason is that I'm inspired to link my love of yoga with my impending career in music therapy, because I believe both modalities are central to rehabilitating from trauma.  And the other reason is that I believe this will be very important to me as a person!  Taking every other weekend to focus on my self, my breathing, my body, my mind, my heart feels important right now.

One thing that 2017 did bring was a new beast, literally: my puppy, Dexter. I didn't grow up with dogs, but found myself wanting one this year.  And when a friend of mine couldn't keep his puppy, I offered to take him off his hands.  So, this little rambunctious ball of joy came into my life and has turned into a big, dopey, jumping, hound.  He's the most handsome man, cuddlebug, shit-disturbing, drool-monster!  He makes me so happy and I'm so glad he's mine.







The other major thing that happened in 2017 was that I started my Music Therapy internship at Cornerstones of Care - Ozanam & Gillis Home campuses.  It's almost over now, just two weeks left.  I've been working with kids and teens with behavioral and emotional disorders - mostly due to early trauma.  I have an amazing team, with my flexible and inspiring internship director and the other music therapy intern who is as supportive and friendly as I could have hoped for.  I have learned SO much and feel fairly well-equipped to begin my career as a music therapist.  As things wind down, I have to brace for another transition, another change.  I feel ready for it...although I'm sure when that last day comes, I will be an emotional mess.

Finally, I lost my grandma this year.  The only grandma I had left.  My mom's mom: Beth Elias.  She was a strong, smart, funny woman.  Her directory of songs and poems and stories was something to marvel at.  She was in poor health, though, and passed in her sleep one night. At least she went in the most peaceful way one could hope for.  Still, her absence feels strange.  And of course I'm so worried for my grandfather. They were married for 60 years, and now he is all alone.  It breaks my heart.



Death....not fun.  Which is why I'm wondering if I should do my final music therapy practicum at a hospice - to face one of my biggest fears.  I hear it is such a blessing to help people transition out of this life.  But the thought of it almost stops my heart with terror.

That's all for now.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: