Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Frustrated...

Well...after waiting and waiting and WAITING...I've decided to stop...waiting, that is. A week and a half ago I tried one final time to convince the people at the High Commission of India and the people at the Indian Council for Cultural Relations that I still very much want to go to India for one year and study. Having received no response, despite my inquiries to the High Commission, I'm gonna go ahead and just declare this whole studying-Indian-music-thing officially OVER!

The funny thing is...I don't really care all that much. I mean, I do...it would have been fantastic. But I'm so glad I'm not there and knowing I have to be there for three years. I mean, I'm sorry but I just didn't want to commit to a 3-year program without knowing what it would be like, etc. So sue me. There are so many things I want to do in the next three years - mainly traveling :)

But that's not to say I'm not going to India, because for anyone who knows me, they know that I've been wanting to go to India for a LONG time. And I made it my goal that this year, 2008, I would go, having finished my Undergrad degree. So I figure that I'm gonna go in about a month and stay until mid-January...so I'm not missing as much of winter as I would have liked, but at the same time, I don't have a ton of money and I don't want to spend a ton of money, either. Besides, once I get back, I may just venture on down to Florida and spend some time with my grandma and just relax in a much more pleasant climate than being in Saskatchewan.

So that's that. At the same time, though, I feel like a total retard because I see all these people who ask me "What are you still doing here?!" Honestly, I was supposed to be in India two weeks ago. It's almost embarrassing having to explain the situation, although I really shouldn't be embarrassed. It's the High Commission/ICCR that should be embarrassed for not communicating with each other or getting back to me etc.

Like for real, the guy I've been in touch with at the High Commission seems incredibly lackadaisical and it's beyond frustrating trying to conduct a conversation with him since never once have I sensed that he gives a rat's ass about my situation.

In any event, that's that. It's interesting, though, how life works. I mean, I was freaking out when I found out about actually getting the scholarship. I was so happy, but at the same time I was completely gripped with terror. And oh how I hated life for handing me two cards at once: a chance to study in India (all-expenses paid), and a wonderful guy (okay, some people will scoff at this, but...well, they don't know this guy!). So now I'm not going to India for as long as I had foreseen, but I get to keep the boy ;) I mean, I feel like it's working out rather well at the moment...despite some of the romantic drama (and hilarious romantic drama it is!!) - but who ever said relationships were easy? You work things out and make the best of it all - if you want to...and this guy and I do want to make it work, so we will...end of story.

And for anyone who actually reads this (really? does anyone read this?), sorry for being super sketch on the details of the apple of my eye, but hey - if you want more info you can ask for a personal email where I can tell you about him instead of posting his vitals all over the Internet.

In other news, I ordered the Shar SuperLite viola case - that carbon-fibre one and I'm definitely gonna have to send it back because it's a piece of junk. It feels cheap, despite the fact that it was not at all. So, for string players, if you want a hard-shell case, stick to the BAM cases. That's my two cents.

Peace.

2 comments:

Shasta said...

hey hilary
sounds like you're having an indian experience already!!!!!!! nothing works in this country. don't expect it to. hahaha. but don't worry, just expect everything to go wrong and you'll have a wonderful time.

now that you don't have an itinerary would you like to come see me down in Madras? I've heard that northern india is way cooler, but then again..... beaches in the south, way spicy food, sri lanka is also close and really cool, so i've heard.

the indian high commission are bastards in london too. took us like 28 days to get our employment visas. shitheads...

love and luck
shasta

Nathaniel Froese said...

Good for you, Hill. I admire your ability and your choice to keep the big picture in mind and to be true to yourself.