Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day?

It's been so long since my last post and I honestly don't know if anyone reads this anymore...so I can feel completely free to go off on a wonderful tangent :)

So it's Valentine's Day...hurray...or not?

This is the first Valentine's Day in my entire existence that I have been "with" someone - that someone being my boyfriend of the last 7.5 months. We are in a "long-distance" relationship (a.k.a. a very shitty position to be in), so, while we talk every single day, it's still hard to maintain the kind of close relationship you would have if you saw someone in person every day.

My boyfriend is not a romantic guy. He will admit this. That's ok. I love him anyway. He also thinks Valentine's Day is a complete sham. That's ok, too. I love him anyway. He told me not to expect anything for Valentine's Day, so I guess I should have been prepared. But...but...but...I cannot help but be envious of everyone's facebook status that reads "Best Valentine's Day ever!! Roses and a romantic dinner!" or "What an amazing Valentine's Day - breakfast in bed and couples massages!"

So what if Valentine's Day is a huge commercialized holiday designed to make people spend money on chocolate and flowers?? It makes people feel special and cared about. No, it doesn't mean your honey loves you more on Valentine's Day than on any other day, but it's an opportunity to demonstrate your affections and what's so wrong with that!?

Of course I didn't receive anything for our 6-month anniversary either...My boyfriend will be the first to admit he's terrible at buying gifts. I don't think it's hard to buy girls presents: earrings, necklaces, scarves, perfume, candles, body wash, tea, lotion, gift certificates even. [To be fair, he did take me to Iron and Wine at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, which was a freaking awesome show.]

Anyway, I will survive the obvious dis-acknowledgement of Valentine's Day. My point is that, despite it being a money-making scheme, receiving flowers/chocolate/a love letter is always a treat and quite honestly I'm in dire need of a pick-me-up these days so the green monster is burning behind my eyes and into my fingers (hence the post).

Sorry for putting you on the spot, boyfriend...you just gotta step it up a few notches, ok?? I still love you!!

No comments: