Thursday, September 4, 2008

I'm going to freaking India!!!

Well my long wait is over: I'M GOING TO INDIA!!!

For those of you who don't know, I had applied for a Commonwealth Scholarship through the Canadian government to study Indian Classical music on the Viola in India. I applied in October 2007. In February 2008 I found out that the Canadian government had approved my application and was sending my information to India to be approved by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR). I was told that the results would be available in late-July/early-August.

So I had been waiting for quite some time to find out whether or not I was going to India. As of late I had been trying to contact the Canadian Bureau for International Education and the High Commission of India. However, no one could give me any information as to the status of my application...

Finally this morning I received a phone call that YES, my application has been approved at the Banaras Hindu University in Varanasi/Banaras.

Needless to say, I am ridiculously excited, yet deliriously terrified. I can honestly say that I was hoping my application would be rejected...however, now that I'm faced with this epic adventure I can't wipe the smile off of my face. Not only will this be an amazing musical challenge that will hopefully open up all kinds of interesting doors, but it will also be an adventure of self-discovery, independence and who-knows-what else!!

I'm not entirely sure when I'm leaving. The gentleman on the phone informed me that the University would like me to be there by September 12th...yes, that would be in one week. I'm not sure if I can get my life together that fast. I have asked for two weeks since they delayed their response SO long. But it is entirely possible that I will be gone by the 12th of September...

Things are even more bittersweet since one of my very best friends has just come home to Regina and it would have been nice to have spent more time with her. As it is, we now only have a short time to chill together before I take off!

And in addition to that...I have been seeing someone...someone wonderful and funny and smart and just...wonderful! He has restored my faith that there are good guys out there. Except now that I've found such a fantastic person, I have to leave him! I'm terrified to ask him to do long-distance since 1) we haven't been together long and 2) India to Canada is ridiculously long-distance. Still...you never know, I guess. I've known this guy for a few years and just now has he come into my life as the object of my desire so maybe it'll work out in time. For now, though, it honestly breaks my heart and makes me incredibly sad.

Well that's that for now. Hopefully I'll be able to keep this thing updated on a regular basis - wow, my first blog!! So exciting :D Feel free to leave comments, etc. as you desire. I look forward to reading them!

Shalom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are awesome Hil. Way to go! Enjoy your adventure; I look forward to reading about it.